One of the most common questions I'm asked by people I'm working with in my Break Up With Addiction coaching programme is some version of this:
How do I deal with/ be with/ manage/ be with or resist an urge to engage in my habit or addiction??
In this video I explore five helpful directions to look in if you want to move away from your habit or addiction, but find urges hard to deal with:
1. What if the habit/ urge is simply the habitual, on-repeat thought loop from the machine in your head (your brain!), and isn't personal to you?
2. Try exploring what deeper 'need' is underneath the urge, and how you might begin to meet it in other ways.
3. Question whether the intensity of the feeling of the urge means it is 'important' or something you need to pay attention to.
4. What if the urge was talking to you in a language you couldn't understand? How would you 'manage' it then?
5. All feelings eventually pass, including an urge. Ultimately this is the path to freedom from habits and addictions - to simply feel the feelings of the urge and not act. You can play with doing this for a few seconds at a time until you feel more confident with this.
I really hope this video helps you. Please do leave any comments or questions for me; I'd love to hear from you.
Like this video? Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Please sign up to my mailing list to receive new videos as they are released, exclusive offers AND my free e-book Lessen Your Stress.
If you want freedom from addiction or a habit, work with me in my specialised 1:1 coaching programme, Break Up With Addiction. Link here: https://www.lindseyelliott.co.uk/habits-and-addiction
If you would like to explore working together, you can book a complimentary initial consultation coaching call with me using this link: